Friday, September 30, 2011

Lemon Sponge




Out of all the cakes I've ever made, I have never made a sponge cake. I came across a super simple recipe that I thought would be great to try.
Honestly, I was really disappointed with how the cakes came out. They weren't light and fluffy, at all. They were really dense and they took longer to bake than I expected. The tops were extremely hard, and trying to fill them was a disaster.



I'm not going to share the cake recipe, since it was awful, but here is the filling and the frosting.


Raspberry Filling

1 pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
juice from one lemon

In a small saucepan over low heat, cook raspberries and sugar, stirring frequently, until you reach a jam-like consistency. Add in lemon juice and cornstarch mixture, and continue to cook until thickened (this took about 5 minutes for me).
Pour mixture through a sieve and refrigerate until ready to use.

*My mixture was pretty liquid, which I prefer. I like the way it soaks into the cake.


Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8oz. pkg cream cheese, at room temp
1/2 cup butter, at room temp

3 cups powdered sugar (more if you like a sweeter or thicker frosting)
zest from 1 lemon

Cream together cream cheese, butter, and lemon zest. Beat in powdered sugar in 1/2 cup batches until you reach the consistency and sweetness you're looking for.
*I loved this frosting, and I really don't even like lemon flavored stuff!

On a happier note, isn't this cupcake wrapper freakin' cute?! I made a whole bunch of them, so you'll be seeing them in upcoming posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment